Henry

Henry
Christmas 2009

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Steering Rack

MG uses a rack and pinion type of steering. There are very few parts that wear in the steering rack. Unfortunately, the factory used a grease fitting (a zerk) for filling the steering rack with 90W gear oil. I say unfortunately because service garages who do not know MG cars and see the zerk will fill the rack with grease. This a no-no as the rack does not receive proper lubrication filled with grease. Mine was, of course, packed with grease. Because of this, I had to tear it down to wash out the grease. After installing new rubber gaiters, I filled the rack with the proper gear oil.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Henry
My steering rack is also full of greace.
Can I clean it being still on the car?
Ragards
Henri from Spain